What documents do you need to get a VAT registration number?

Registering for VAT in a member state of the European Union (‘EU’) can be a time consuming activity.

Trade and tax assists your company putting together all documentation and filing registration forms around the EU. The documents required for such registration vary from one country to another, however, below you will find some documents that are usually required and that you can start putting together before starting your EU business.

  • Engagement letter.
  • Power of Attorney (proxy) with regard to the assignment to act as authorized or fiscal representative (tax agent).
  • Application form (questionnaire).
  • VAT certificate in your home country: This document proves that your company is register for VAT in its country of establishment. Normally, it must be original and recently issued by the local tax authorities (not older than three to six months).
  • Articles of Association issued as part of the incorporation process in its home country.
  • Certificate of incorporation and an excerpt of the Trade Register with all details about the company´s incorporation in its home country.
  • Proof of taxable transactions. This can be a challenging requirement as it is not always easy to prove that you intend to perform taxable supplies. Some examples include contracts, purchase orders, invoices or similar documents.
  • Proof of signature. This is a document proving that the person signing the registration form is entitled to represent the company. One example can be the Articles of Association where the signatory is appointed as a Director of the company.
  • You also need to consider language requirements. In some EU member it is obliged to submit all documents in their official language.
  • Security deposit (bank or cash guarantee), if you decide to appoint a fiscal representative and to benefit from the VAT deferral facility at importation (‘no cash out’).

Contact Trade and tax

Trade and tax is a multi-disciplinary tax services provider, ready to assist you with various tax related matters. Want to know more about us, or want to work with us? Visit our contact page.